What should you do at the scene of a car accident?
If you are involved in a car accident in Baltimore, it is important to stay calm and take the following steps to protect yourself and any other individuals involved:
1. Check for injuries: If you or anyone else is injured, call 911 immediately and get medical attention.
2. Call the police: Even if the accident appears to be minor, you should report the crash to the police. They will document the accident and help determine who is at fault.
3. Exchange information: Get the contact and insurance information of the other driver(s) involved in the accident. You should also provide your own information to the other driver(s).
4. Document the scene: Take pictures of the crash scene, including any damage to your vehicle and the other vehicle(s) involved. You should also make note of any witnesses to the accident.
5. Notify your insurance company: It is important to notify your insurance company as soon as possible after the accident. If you plan on seeking legal representation, let the adjuster know that you want to talk to your lawyer before you give a written or recorded statement about the crash.
6. Seek legal counsel: If anyone was injured in the crash, strongly consider getting a lawyer. A lawyer can help you navigate the process and protect your rights. Many Baltimore car accident injury lawyers only charge a fee after they win in court or settle your case.
What should you consider when deciding whether to get a Baltimore car accident lawyer?
Hiring a personal injury lawyer after a car accident helps you get the best possible outcome. The bottom line is that you are far more likely to be fairly compensated by the insurance company when you are represented by a lawyer.
There are many reasons for this. A good lawyer will:
1. Evaluate your case. An injury lawyer will review the details of your case and advise you on the best course of action. They can help you determine whether you have a strong case and what damages you may be entitled to.
2. Gather evidence. Your attorney will gather all the necessary evidence to build a strong case for you. This may include police reports, witness statements, medical records, and other documentation.
3. Negotiate with the insurance company. Experienced Baltimore car accident attorneys know how to best negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to get you the maximum compensation possible.
4. File a lawsuit, if necessary. Sometimes a lawsuit is necessary to obtain a fair result, and experienced Baltimore lawyers will file a lawsuit on your behalf if necessary.
Make sure you have enough insurance coverage! Learn more about the risks of Maryland minimum coverage here: https://getmorethantheminimum.com/
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the statute of limitations for a Maryland car accident case?
The statute of limitations for a car accident case in Maryland is three years from the date of the accident. However, there are many exceptions to this rule, and it is important to speak with an attorney about the specifics of your case as soon as possible.
What types of damages can I seek compensation for in a car accident lawsuit in Maryland?
After a crash, you can seek compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other out-of-pocket expenses related to the accident. You may also be able to seek compensation for non-economic damages, such as the pain and suffering you experienced from your injuries.
What if I was involved in a hit-and-run crash or the other driver has no insurance?
It is important to talk to a qualified car accident lawyer as soon as possible if you are involved in a hit and run accident or the other driver has no insurance. You may be eligible for compensation through your own insurance policy, such as through your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, and a personal injury lawyer will help you understand your legal options and assist you in pursuing a claim.
How much will it cost to hire a Baltimore car accident attorney?
Most reputable Baltimore car accident attorneys do not charge any upfront fees or costs, and they only get paid when your case is settled or when you win in court.
It is important to understand the terms of your fee agreement with your lawyer before you agree to hire them. Make sure to ask about any potential expenses that you may be responsible for, and be sure to discuss how the lawyer’s fee will be calculated and paid.
Injury Car Accidents
A Baltimore car accident lawyer can assist you with negotiating a fair settlement after a car accident resulting in injuries.
Bicyclists Struck By
If you were struck by a driver while riding your bike, a Baltimore injury attorney can help you recover from the negligent party.
Pedestrians Struck By
Being struck while walking can cause serious injuries. It is important to consult with an experienced attorney who can clearly establish liability.
Tractor trailers have the potential to cause life-changing injuries. If you are involved in a crash with a tractor trailer, you should consult with an experienced lawyer.
Talk to a Lawyer
Call now for a free consultation with an Maryland car accident lawyer! If we can’t help, we will do our best to get you to someone who can.